9.21.2008

The First Week/Month 4

So today wraps up my first week in Lafayette, LA. I've been really busy unpacking and I have a few boxes left hanging around. Some of them, I think, are just not going to get unpacked because I don't have a place to put things. However, I knew that when I packed them but they are things I wanted to make sure I had with me. Kristopher helped set up my desk area so that I can work which is really nice. I promise to take pictures soon so you can all see what it looks like.

The kitchen is all put away, it was the first spot that felt like home since it was "done" so quickly. Everything else is slowly coming together and it feels good. Lucky for me, I get to work from home which is nice. My job made me an offer so that I could continue working remotely. My plan therefore is to just get another part-time job, perhaps an office job to supplement my income. However, I have a little bit of time before I need to get that done.

Today also marks month number four. I'm not sure if it's a good thing to count the months but I can't shake it. It's as if my body knows when the days are coming anyway because yesterday I just got incredibly sad and frustrated and realized it was because it was close to the 21st again. Can't get away from it even if I don't think about it, I suppose it's in my subconscious.

I did go to church today, I was soooo nervous. I wasn't sure if I would like it, if they would be open or welcoming or if it would just be different. Well, let me tell you, Faith Lutheran Church was a very welcoming place. It's traditional in service but contemporary in other respects. There aren't any pews, but instead, rows of red, extremely comfortable chairs. The church has a small congregation about 60-something people but they were friendly. Although very simple, it still felt like a church. I enjoyed service and the sermon although they sing some parts either differently or just faster than Calvary. I have to look it up in the LW Blue Hymnal, good thing I can sight read music. Although they have Blue Hymnals, everything was printed out in the service bulletin.

I still think about Michael every single day. Sleeping at night has proved to be a challenge while I adjust. Not all nights are difficult, just some. I've put up a bunch of my picture frames. I have pictures of Michael and I and Mikey and I on my desk here and pictures of me with Kelly and Josh and of Annemarie on the bookcase. I still have plenty more pictures to go, they are just in the box, I did find Chris and Tara's prom picture so I put that on the shelf too.

The other day it rained here, not a light rain, not a dark thundering rain, just a heavy rain in the middle of the day. I surprisingly enjoyed watching it from the apartment. The raindrops were huge and all you heard was one huge crack of thunder and then it was like the clouds parted and God slowly tipped a bucket of water down. It came down hard, it came down straight, in a sheet but it was the most beautiful thing ever. It felt cleansing and calming, like all my frustration of unpacking was being washed away. Rain doesn't often make me smile but it did that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear from you!