7.07.2010

iSkin Vu for iPad - Sleek, Pretty and Useful

I might not have written about it but a few months ago I bought an iPad for myself. Every year I buy one expensive thing that I really want for my birthday since I tend not to spend too much on materialistic things the rest of the year.

Of course, you can't just buy and iPad - you need accessories and, if you know me well enough by now, you know that some sort of protective cover is definitely at the top of the list. Enter the iSkin Vu. This skin wasn't available when the iPad was first released. I had to wait until July for it. That's almost two entire my months! Well, I have to say, it's worth the wait. I have ordered from iSkin before for my iPhone 3G and it has worked remarkably at keeping my phone from getting damaged. So I knew that iSkin was the kind of protection I wanted for my iPad.

I ordered the iSkin Vu in my favorite color -  purple (or as they call it, Vive). It's looks beautiful! Not a fan of purple? The iSkin Vu also comes in black, pink, aqua blue, dark blue, red and orange.
As you can see in the pictures, the iSkin completely covers the back of my iPad without covering up the Apple logo, provides full coverage for the sides, and leaves only the screen uncovered on the front. The colored areas are made of a "durable rubberized plastic" that protects the iPad from shocks, bumps and scratches. The clear part is made of a "hard plastic" to provide premium protection without covering up the design. All buttons and ports are also covered. In addition the clear section on the bottom snaps on and off to allowing you to dock the iPad. Since I don't use a dock I never remove this part.

Are there any negatives? Well for one, I'm not a fan of the headphone jack and the orientation lock being covered by little plastic flaps. It's really a pain to try and lift these pieces of plastic up to use them. I have to use my nails so I can only imagine how inconvenient it is for guys or people with bigger fingers to use. I think I plan to cut these flaps off in the near future. The second issue is that the "hatch" that allows the iPad to dock doesn't quite fit right. It may be because the iSkin Vu provides such a tight fit around the iPad it's hard to slide that piece into place perfectly. While the rubberized plastic parts help with gripping the iPad, the hard plastic back does not. So far this hasn't been a problem for me... yet.

All in all I would definitely buy this again and I look forward to seeing what cases they put out for the new iPhone 4s. As a side note I've dropped mine 4 times already (it's perfectly fine) and so I think I need to get one as soon as I can! Now that I've reviewed the iSkin Vu, I suppose I owe some posts to reviewing the iPad itself and perhaps my iPhone 4. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I like the way it looks! Awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a great idea to buy something special for yourself once a year! I may have to join in on the tradition!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear from you!